Saturday, April 6, 2013

No Goodbyes, Only Beginnings .

I was told a man is never a man, until he loses his father. This man wishes he was still a boy. Its crazy to look back and realize the first time I performed outside of my bedroom was at my fathers funeral.

I remember my mother asking me to play. She really wanted me to write a song for him, problem is I was no songwriter at the time. I didn't actually start writing music for a year after he passed. A while after he passed my mom confessed to me about playing for my dad. Not about playing at his funeral , about my "learning curve" of guitar playing.
By that I mean, she told me about him , simply put just being a father. You see when I picked up the guitar I took a run at playing it. I picked it up late in life in comparison to others. Not for any other reason then my love for music . It's an extension of my personality.
So my baby steps were to try and learn A few of my favorite songs. This is where it began , I realized the skill involved in these songs. So I put it down.
A short time after, my dad became ill with Cancer. They gave him 2 months. He gave us 2 years.
My mothers confession came as this. When my dad became sick I use to make him health shakes and my own home made concoctions by way of natural path remedies. I'll admit , none of these tasted like they were to be consumed.
So when I would visit my dad , we would drink these to appease my recommendations. All well i would strum on the guitar in the hospital with him. Im not sure what your thinking as you read this ,but my mom told me exactly what my dad was.
She says how he use to just curse when he saw me coming down the hall with my guitar on my back and bag full of natural products. He use to crack jokes about what was going to be harder to take, my health shake or guitar playing.(keep in mind I was very much at the beginning of my "learning curve" . However like clock work, when I entered the room. He always smiled, whether he could drink or not. He always had the shake and listened to me play.
To be honest until my mom mentioned it I had no clue. After she told me, we burst out laughing. If you knew my dad you would know how funny those situations would have been.
Even if you didn't know my father, I'm sure you can read between the lines. I'm sure one day I'll be a father and understand it a little deeper.
In the simplest form, putting someone you care about before yourself.
It's a bold trait, it's a lost trait. It's part of all fathers , mothers, stand up friends, brothers ,sisters , gentlemen, nice strangers . It's a genetic makeup that makes them good people.
My father was one of these people. He is the man that i size all great people to. He is missed and he is always celebrated everyday. And on this anniversary of his passing, I tell you there no goodbyes, only beginnings.

And for my mother , here is the song I finally wrote for him. You may all download it and share it with whom ever you like.

So if you choose to download the song and it hits you, think about the good people in your life. It was written about the greatest one in mine. If you like, share it with whomever you want.
If I could just ask you to send a quiet thank you to my father Wayne Buffan for suffering through my guitar learning curve and never telling me to stop, not even once. And trust me if you have ever witnessed this first hand you know how hard that would have been.
And to my mother who who waited and didn't tell me until she knew I would never stop even if I she told me.

So for all the good people out there, just keep doing what your doing. The rest of us do notice.

And for my mother , here is the song I finally wrote for him. You can download it here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brent-Buffan-The-Ride/107489805972019?id=107489805972019&sk=app_178091127385

If you are not on facebook, visit my website www.brentbuffan.com and go to the music section and you may stream it there the track is called ("No Goodbyes, Only Beginnings) If you would like a copy simply email me.


Thank you Dad & Mom
Love , your son
Brent



No comments:

Post a Comment