Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A letter to a friend

Before I left on my musical journey , I lost a friend . I was out living and training (physically) with one my best friends Merrick . I won't forget the day , me and Merrick were working out. We were at a local gym and Merricks name came over the announcement asking him to come to the front desk . I was on the bench press and he asked me to come with him. It was because Merrick has his own training studio,and the gym had removed him once before for "recruiting customers"and we assumed they were kicking him out for training me. When we got to the front desk, the women said his wife was here and was outside waiting. This was really odd, are first thoughts were something bad. When we walked out, Carly his wife was in tears. "Russ is dead, he's dead.....he crashed his plane." Im not overly ready to write about Russ yet. I can tell you this, i was the best man in Merrick & Carly's wedding. From their wedding i met Russ who was in Merrick's wedding party as a groomsman. From that time i had become close to Russ, i spent many memorable days and nights with him. When i mentioned i was leaving on this journey , he simply said ."Do it, you only live once" The following is what i wrote upon  in the aftermath of his passing, writing is a way for me to morn.  I may turn it into a song in his honour if i can do it justice.



A letter to a friend;

There is nothing i can say, that i haven't already said. You are and were an incredible friend. The reason you left us, one day we will all get to understand. Smile on us my dear friend. Its the moments we shared that keep things moving ahead. The memories you left us are a part of life's healing hands. Our friendship we have much further extends, to your family and friends. Simply, because you are my friend. Some moments in life we have to wait to understand. And this is one of them. Until we meet again .My dear friend.


In honour of Russ Hawkins

No comments:

Post a Comment